- The defendant owed a duty of care to you. (For example, drivers have a duty to be safe on the road, and store owners have a duty to keep their properties reasonably free of hazards.)
- The defendant did not take proper care and breached that duty.
- That negligence directly caused your injuries, resulting in damages.
How you prove negligence will depend on the specifics of your case. Some common evidence that may be used includes:
- Evidence from the scene of the accident
- Police reports
- Medical records
- Bills and receipts
- Expert testimony
- Witness testimony
It takes skill and resources to build a winning personal injury case. At Reaves Law Firm, PLLC, our knowledgeable Memphis personal injury attorneys will develop your case with the proof needed to show exactly why the defendant is responsible for your injuries. Our goal is always to recover maximum compensation available to you by law.
Types of Damages You Could Recover in a Personal Injury Claim
When you make a claim for a personal injury, you are pursuing financial compensation, which is referred to as “damages.” Damages are separated into two different types:
- Actual damages seek to return your life back to the way it was before the injuries. For example, actual damages would include the money to cover your medical bills or to replace a car that was totaled in an accident.
- General damages are considered compensation for non-monetary losses, including pain and suffering, mental anguish, and other more abstract conditions.
The outcome of each personal injury claim will depend on its unique facts and circumstances. At Reaves Law Firm, PLLC, we will build your case and assess all possible damages that may be available to you. Some of the most common damages available in personal injury claims include:
- Medical expenses: You should be reimbursed for all medical expenses related to your accident. This includes doctor bills, prescriptions, and even mileage to/from doctor’s appointments.
- Cost of future medical care: Because injuries sometimes come with long-term complications that will require more medical care throughout your life, future medical care expenses can be estimated and included in your personal injury settlement.
- Household expenses: Your injuries may require that you make modifications to your home or your lifestyle. Damages for household expenses can cover these costs and others, such as hiring a lawn service or other workers to perform jobs that are now impossible due to your injuries.
- Lost wages: Actual wages lost for your time missed from work can be reimbursed, as well as lost future earnings if your injuries prevent you from returning to your job.
- Loss of services: Your injuries may now prevent you from performing services within your household, like picking up your children from school, cleaning the house, or cooking dinner. These damages seek to compensate the other members of your household for the loss of your services.
- Loss of consortium: This is a legal term for the loss of general companionship provided to a spouse or partner due to injuries. Physical limitations may significantly change personal relationships, and these damages compensate for the loss of intimacy that may be caused by your injuries.
The damages you are eligible to receive will vary depending on the details of your case. Please contact our personal injury attorneys in Memphis today to discuss your case in-depth during a free consultation.
Statute of Limitations on Personal Injury Claims in Tennessee
The statute of limitations gives a time limit that you have to file a claim. Tennessee law provides that you only have one year from the date of the accident to file a personal injury claim. This is significantly shorter than many other states and requires that you act very quickly. If you go beyond the statute of limitations, you lose your ability to recover any compensation from your accident.
In addition to the state’s statute of limitations, some insurance carriers have even tighter timeframes for filing claims, so it is even more important that you talk to an attorney about your rights as soon as possible.
When you contact Reaves Law Firm, PLLC, a Memphis personal injury lawyer will review your claim and determine all of the time limitations that might apply to you so that we never miss a deadline in your case. Our team can handle all of the legal aspects of your case for you so that you can focus completely on your recovery.
How Our Personal Injury Attorneys Can Help with Your Case
Personal injuries can be overwhelming for you and your whole family. An experienced lawyer can help ease the burden on all of you, both now and into the future.
At Reaves Law Firm, PLLC, you can trust our savvy legal team to:
- Take over all communication with insurance companies, so you are not pressured by tricky or aggressive adjusters
- Initiate investigations into your accident to determine all potentially liable parties
- Document all damages related to your accident and plan for your future by anticipating your long-term care needs
- Handle all the legal aspects of your personal injury case as efficiently as possible
- Manage your claim from start to finish so you can put all of your time and energy into the recovery process
When you make a personal injury claim, you will be going up against a well-funded insurance company. These big businesses are professional negotiators and often try to take advantage of victims and their families by pressuring them to accept lowball settlements. At Reaves Law Firm, PLLC, we know this because we deal with the insurance companies all the time. We never want to see a victim get less than the maximum recovery allowed to them by law. With one of our Memphis personal injury attorneys by your side, we promise to vigorously pursue justice on your behalf.
We will treat you like a part of our family and handle all aspects of your legal claim. We are passionate about helping injured victims, and we are so confident in our services that your first consultation is always free. Please contact us now so we can get started on your claim right away.
We Have Helped People Suffering from All Types of Personal Injuries
As experienced personal injury attorneys in Memphis, we have helped people coping with a wide range of bodily injuries. Some of the common injuries we see in our personal injury cases include:
- Broken bones
- Head and traumatic brain injuries
- Back and spinal cord injuries
- Neck injuries
- Vision/hearing loss
- Loss of limbs
- Internal injuries
- Strains and sprains
Unfortunately, many accidents also result in fatal injuries. If your loved one passed away as a result of an accident due to negligence, we can help your family pursue a wrongful death claim on their behalf. Through this claim, you may be able to recover compensation for medical bills, funeral expenses, loss of support, and more.