Some common forms of compensation you may pursue in a car accident claim include:
- Medical expenses, including emergency room visits, hospitalization, doctor appointments, and prescriptions
- Lost wages, if you missed work while recovering from your injuries
- Lost earning potential, if you will be unable to return to work at the same hours or the same pay as before the accident
- Property damage, for repair or replacement costs for your vehicle, phone, and other property that may have been damaged in the accident
- Pain and suffering, for mental anguish and loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium, if your injuries affect your relationship with your spouse
- Death benefits, including funeral expenses and loss of income, if your family member passed away as a result of the accident
In some cases, courts will order punitive damages, which are meant to punish a defendant for willful conduct or especially egregious behavior. In car accident claims, these are most common in the case of drunk driving crashes.
If you are ready to talk about what types of compensation you may be entitled to receive, please call our Memphis car accident attorneys today. The consultation is free, and there is no obligation to you.
What to Do After a Car Accident
You may hear all kinds of advice from people regarding what to do and what not to do in the event of a car accident. We advise our clients to keep it simple:
- Get medical treatment: First and foremost, make sure you and the occupants of your vehicle are safe. Be sure to get checked out by medical professionals, even if you don’t think you need to ride in the ambulance to the emergency room. Also, be sure to get treatment if symptoms arise after you leave the scene of your accident. Know that some very dangerous conditions can lead to long-term effects and even death if left untreated, and some of these have delayed symptoms.
- Take pictures: If you are able, take pictures of the accident scene and your injuries. These can be important evidence in your case. If you cannot take this step yourself, ask a friend or family member to do so for you.
- Get information from witnesses: If you are able, talk to any witnesses and get their contact information. Our car accident attorneys in Memphis can call on witnesses to provide additional perspectives of your accident. Be especially sure to get the contact information, insurance information, and vehicle information of anyone involved in the crash.
- Call an attorney: Do not try to go through an auto accident claim process on your own. The earlier you get in touch with a knowledgeable car accident lawyer, the sooner your legal team can start gathering evidence, speaking to the insurance company, and working toward a successful resolution of your claim.
- Do not talk to the insurance company: You will probably get a call from the insurance company for the other party in your accident. Do not talk to them. Insurance companies are notorious for taking advantage of victims by offering them less than optimal settlements or tricking them into making damaging statements. Instead, redirect calls from the insurance company to your legal counsel.
- Keep bills and receipts that pertain to your injuries: Save any bills and receipts that relate to your injuries. We can always help you collect these bills later, but it is easier if you start saving them right away.
Even if you were unable to follow all of these steps, our attorneys are available to help. Contact us as soon as possible and let us advise you of the next steps in your case.
Statute of Limitations on Car Accident Injury Claims in Tennessee
The statute of limitations is a set of laws that provide timeframes for how long you have to initiate a lawsuit. Once you pass the window allowed by the statute of limitations, you lose your ability to recover for injuries pertaining to that accident.
In Tennessee, the statute of limitations for car accidents falls within the statute of limitations for personal injuries, which is one year from the date of the accident. This means you must make your claim for your injuries within one year of the crash, or you forfeit your ability to recover compensation.
However, some insurance companies have even shorter timelines in which you must begin a claim, so we always recommend that you start the legal process as soon as possible after your accident. The attorneys at Reaves Law Firm, PLLC are very familiar with these legal rules, and we can advise you accordingly at your no-cost, initial consultation.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
There are many causes of car accidents, and our attorneys have experience investigating various types of crashes to identify all the potentially liable parties. Some of the types of accident cases we handle include:
- Drowsy driving
- Aggressive driving
- Driver error
- Defective vehicles
- Dangerous road conditions
Reaves Law Firm, PLLC is available to assist you with auto accidents caused by these or any other type of negligence.
Common Types of Injuries Caused by Car Accidents
Motor vehicle accidents can cause a nearly unlimited list of injuries, both physical and emotional. The most common car wreck injuries we see at Reaves Law Firm, PLLC include:
- Broken bones
- Head injuries and traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries and back injuries
- Neck injuries
- Internal bleeding and injuries to organs
- Fatal injuries
If you have experienced these or any other injuries due to a car accident, our respected personal injury attorneys in Memphis can assess your case and explain your right to compensation.
How a Car Accident Attorney Can Help You
When you are hurt in a car accident, you may feel overwhelmed by your injuries, recovery, and bills. The last thing you want to think about is the complexity of legal issues associated with bringing a claim. An experienced car accident attorney from Reaves Law Firm, PLLC can take this stress off your plate and handle all legal aspects of your case. We will do this with minimal interference in your life so that you can focus on a full recovery and return to normal.
Insurance companies play a major role in car accident claims. Insurance companies are big businesses that make a profit by offering the lowest possible car accident settlements for injury claims. They do this by taking advantage of victims like you. With a seasoned car accident attorney from Reaves Law Firm, PLLC on your side, you can be sure that you will have a strong voice in this process. Our team will fight for the maximum compensation allowed to you by law.