Memphis Motorcycle Accident Attorney
In Tennessee, there were 123 motorcycle fatalities in 2015. Out of those, 113 were wearing a helmet. Motorcyclists are at risk even when they are taking all the proper precautions. They are much smaller than the average vehicle on the road, and they are much more exposed to harm than people inside the cabin of their vehicles. If you or a loved one was injured in a motorcycle crash, you may be entitled to financial compensation. To learn more, contact the lawyers at Reaves Law Firm today.
Motorcycle Crashes Trending Upward
From the year 1998 to 2007, motorcycle crashes trended upward in Tennessee. In 1998, there were 42 fatalities. In 2007, there were 149 fatalities. Fatal motorcycle crashes began to dip a bit after 2007, but they are still much higher than the fatality rates in the 1990s.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Crashes
Motorcycle crashes are most often caused by drivers of passenger vehicles or commercial vehicles. Some of the common causes include:
- Failure to look before changing lanes
- Following too closely behind
- Failure to yield the right of way
- Ignoring traffic signals such as stop signs or traffic lights
Required Motorcycle Safety Equipment
In Tennessee, motorcyclists are required to adhere to certain safety requirements, such as:
- Must ride on permanent, attached seats only
- Must not carry passengers on motorcycles not made to carry passengers
- Riders must ride astride and facing forward
- Riders must use both hands at all times
- Motorcyclists must have their headlights on at all times
- Motorcyclists must wear helmets at all times
- Motorcycles must have windshields or safety goggles are required
- Taillights must be in good working condition at all times
- Motorcycles must have rearview mirrors and footrests
Even if a motorcyclists adheres to all the Tennessee safety regulations, accidents can still occur. If you or a loved one was injured in a motorcycle accident through no fault of your own, we encourage you to contact the Memphis motorcycle accident lawyers at Reaves Law Firm today.